Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mamma Mia (2008)

Sophie Sheridan (Amanda Seyfried) is soon to be married and wants to invite her father to the wedding. The trouble is she doesn't know her father's identity. When she uncovers her mother's diary, she discovers her mom Donna (Meryl Streep) had trysts with three men that could potentially be her father. She decides to invite them all (Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard) to her wedding thinking she will instantly know, just by looking in his eyes, who is her real father.


Cast of Mamma Mia

I expected this film to be a bunch of ridiculous nonsense and it did not disappoint, unfortunately. I can't believe so many stars signed up for such a silly and inane film. Oh Meryl, how far you have fallen from the pedestal I put you on. I have to admit, I watched this for the pure Brosnan and Firth factor. I love them both. Unfortunately, Firth's part was minuscule and Brosnan was made to sing. Which he can't, really, despite being Irish. So it made it look and feel painful - not to mention terribly unsexy. Which made me terribly unhappy.

I can't think of anything positive to say other than some of the Greek Isle scenery was gorgeous. That was probably the best part of the film. Oh, and that the cute young girl, Amanda Seyfriend, was really good even though I think she was largely an unknown. She held her ground against all the star power very well and I was impressed by that. Sadly though, unless you are an uber-ABBA fan or a general musical junkie, I would say this is a large waste of time and would be best left undisturbed on the shelf.

2 comments:

Jennythenipper said...

I finally saw this movie on a plane recently. I really liked it, but I enjoyed the Bollywood movies I watched on that same flight (Air India) a bit more. I came to think of Mama Mia as Bollywood movie with slightly better acting and much worse singing and dancing.

I think the choice to use actors whose singing is marginal was brave. I love Pierce Brosnan and I wish he got to be funny more. Even in this movie he's too serious. Of course Colin Firth is to die for as well. My brain explodes trying to choose between the two!

AbbyNormal said...

Jenny - I am shocked to say I could totally see Mamma Mia as a Bollywood movie. If you took it as total camp instead of the seriousness that they threw into it, the movie would be much better.

A while ago I watched "Bride and Prejudice" and I swear, I fell in love with the main Indian actress whose name I can't recall. Such a beautiful woman!!