Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hot Princess

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in "Roman Holiday"

I am not going to do a review of "Roman Holiday" now. A friend of mine did a delightfully irreverent one here the other day. I just wanted to blog a few random thoughts, like, how amazingly tiny, but yet, still beautiful Audrey Hepburn was in this movie. I almost stared exclusively at her waist trying to imagine what it would have looked like in person, especially if the camera adds 10 pounds! I pondered which of my body parts would be smaller in diameter than her waist. I came up with fingers (maybe not the thumb though), toes and possibly my nose. I got me dear old Mom's Irish nose though, so even that body part is questionable. Seriously, she was so gorgeous, but so tiny. I don't think I would have even had the guts to hug her for fear of snapping her like a twig.

Other than her tiny waist. I will share two favorite quotes from the movie:
  1. Irving (played by Eddie Albert) says, "It's always open season on princesses."
  2. Irving (still played by Eddie Albert) says, "Joe, we can't go running around town with a hot princess!"
Lastly, a few random thoughts and tidbits.
  1. Why did Irving get all the best lines?
  2. Did the scene of the undercover agents walking in the same outfit towards the barge party remind anyone else of a scene out of "Reservoir Dogs"? If only they had slowed the speed, it would have been a perfect match. :-)
  3. Apparently, Gregory Peck decided to do the "hand in the sleeve" trick at the Mouth of Truth statue because he had seen Red Skelton do a bit like that when someone offered to shake his hand. Peck ran it by William Wyler, the director, but they did not tell Audrey Hepburn what would happen. Her scream and surprise was a true reaction and that is what was used for the movie. I do love her reaction in this scene knowing that. I also like Peck reacting to her reaction.
  4. I know it is a sappy movie, but I can't help but think of the romantic comedy "Only You" when I see this film. I am probably the only person on earth who bothered to watch it and will admit to it.
  5. It is astounding that this is her first big role and she pulls it off so beautifully. Well done, Audrey.

And to end ... another still from the movie. One can never have enough eye candy of Audrey:


Ahhh, ché bellezza!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this movie. I've heard it's good, though.

You know who else had a super tiny waist? Vera Ellen. In "White Christmas". Her waist was unbelievably small. She's a teeny tiny person, like Audrey. LOL.

Happy almost TGIF April.

Jennythenipper said...

Those 50s ladies had the help of really amazing foundation garments. Still she was a tiny lady, I know. I don't think I could get that skirt over my knees let alone my hips!

I love the line "it's always open season on princesses." It always reminds me of Princess Diana. It's quite poignant to me because of that.

Oh thank you Abby for keeping the Roman Holiday obsession ball bouncing! After two posts in a row, I still wasn't tired of thinking about it. I was running a 10k race today and I was daydreaming about Roman Holiday the whole time. Sigh.

Yes, Audrey was amazing in that role. And GP was the ultimate prince.

Nancy "Beaky" Bruce said...

Why does Irving get the best lines?


Because Albert could hit them out of the park without effort.

I adore Peck. and he did have greater range than normally credited to him, but he was as awkward as Sinatra with comedy. Particularly the one-liners... I just don't understand how or why, but it's painfully obvious in Designing Woman.

Vera Ellen's waist. If I remember correctly, she battled, or rather didn't battle, anorexia. She aged quickly and died young. very sad. They would put her in high necked garments to hide the neck.

Audrey -- She appeared teeny -- but listening to Peter Stone and Stanley Donen on the commentary of the Charade DVD, Donen explains that Audrey was a larger woman than she appeared. Which always makes me feel better. LOL
Great shoulders, fabulous posture she had that made her appear so, er, stately. Beautiful woman inside and out. Cant think about her figure without thinking of the cute little black outfit w/ the white socks in Funny Face.